Friday, June 06, 2003

I just read over at Aint It Cool News that Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) will be directing a film adaptation of The Master and Margarita. As if it isn't cool enough that one of my all time favorite books will be made into a film, it will star Johnny Depp as Woland and Famke Jensen as Margarita. No word yet on who will be the Master. My vote is for Ian Holm but that's just me. But, BUT, I'm giddy with the news!!!

To anyone who has never read the Master and Margarita, go to Amazon now (link above) and buy the book. You will not be disapointed.

the Devil comes to Moscow at the hight of Soviet Russia (circa 1938) acomponied by a couple of demons including Behemoth, a vodka drinking, chess playing cat who walks upright and talks. Since, according to Communist ideology, there is no God and no Devil, no one believes in him but that only makes it easier for the Devil to spread chaos, sending people to the mad house and ultimately, uniting two lovers forever. it's a fable, a love story, a satire, all set within the framework of the Faust story. Bulgakov is a master writer and I can't recomend this book enough.

This tiny review doesn't really do th ebook justice. trust me though. it's worth reading, several times.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home