Thursday, June 05, 2003

Is it possible to have too much time on your hands? I think it is. See, for the last three months or so, I've been working at my friend Shelly's Gym, selling bananas and leotards to little girls. Not a bad job; heck, it's a lot more fun then the four months I spent working at the Gap. Now there is a blackhole of fun.

"So, Keith what do you do?"

"I fold pants. Pants! I fold pants for a living!!! Ha, ha, ha!!!" (and then I run away laughing and try to fold the pants of people who are still in them).

OK, so it's not that bad but you see my point. I don't have much in the way of responasabilities at this job and I only work 12 hours a week. So I have plenty of free time to work on my writing. Too much time I'm beginning to think.

See, when I was writing The Tragic Circus, I was working 32 hours a week at Barnes & Noble (at least I was when I started writing the book). I had barely enough time to write then so when a free hour or two opened up I would sit down and madly pound on the keyboard. I had a sense of urgency. Soon, I would have to go to work or leave early so I could pick up cat food or pay a bill or something. I fit my writing into my schedule when I could so it was precious time.

Now I have nothing but time. I work 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. I can run errands and play on the internet and watch a movie and still have time to write before I go to work. The problem is, without the urgancy of having to fit the writing in to a free hour, I think of it as something I can do later. First I'll check my e-mail, catch up on the news. Then drink heavily to ward off the depression that brings, then maybe take a nap. Before I know it, it's 3:30 and time for me to leave for work and I've gotten diddly squat written.

But the good news is I'll be starting Grad School here in late August so I'll have less free time. Imagine all the writing I'll get done then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home