Monday, April 05, 2004

And Another Thing



I completely forgot to address the anti-semitism claim in my review of Mel Gibson's the Passion of the Christ (let alone the presence of that extra 'the' in the title. What's up with that, Mel? You're movie's clumsy enough without extraneous modifiers).

Neither I nor the friends I went to see the movie with noticed any overt anti-simitism. One could argue that the depiction of the Jews in the film were done in an over the top manner, as stereotypes, and that implies an anti-simitic subtext. But that's giving Mel Gibson too much credit. As I mentioned before, this movie is all surface. It has no subtext. So if there is anti-semitism in the film, it is placed there by the viewer, not the director (though, not for lack of trying. He did concede finally and remove the blood libel line).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home