Thursday, September 30, 2004

From the Mailbag

I recieved an e-mail today from Morgan, a Journalist who writes for the French cultural magazine, Chronic'Art. She is a Brautigan fan who read my post about In Watermellon Sugar. She wanted to let me know that her magazine has a three page article on Richard Brautigan in the November Issue. She also has an interesting question:

As a librarian, do you have more informations or precisions about Brautigan Virtual Libraries, based on Brautigan's " The Abortion : An Historical Romance "(1966). According to the website " Ahapoetry.com".

For those of you unfemiliar with Brautigan's book, The Abortion, the main character manages an eccentric library that collects one of a kind books made by local San Fransisco residents who deposit the books with him. At the website that Morgan mentioned above, there is aBrautigan Virtual Library, which looks like it is trying to provide a similar service online.

I was not aware of this and it looks interesting. Thanks, Morgan, for bringing it to my attention.

I've been fascinated by meta-fiction (fiction about books that are themselves fictitious) for a while now. Shortly after I started this blog, I discovered that there was a website that endevours to catalog these meta-books, called The Invisible Library. I swear it was a coincidence.

J.L. Borges has, to my mind, the most impressive collection of meta-books under his name, even though John Bellairs and Douglas Adams have the most books with the best titles. My favorite Adams' meta-title has to be Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes by Oolon Colluphid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home