Saturday, October 02, 2004

All His Favorite Fruit

Over at Dispatches from Iraq, a few readers have posed direct questions to Christian in comments, which is an understandable impulse. However, I feel I should point out that Christian doesn't actually maintain that site, or ever read it, as far as I know. He sends the Dispatches to a friend of mine, who sends them to me, and I post them. I've only ever met Christian once, briefly, at a burlesque show in Adams Morgan, shortly before he left for Iraq. So, asking him questions in the comments is a little futile. However, if you want to send him an e-mail message, you can send it to me and I'll send to to someone who can send it to him. Sorry if this feels a little like table rapping or joining the Christian Iraq Tour Fan Club.

Along these lines, I'd appreciate some feedback concerning the Dispatches. Do readers think they are worth maintaining?

When I started reading the Dispatches, I had hoped we'd be privy to an insider's view of the inner workings of the reconstruction and occupation. Instead, it feels more like the travel diary of a Civil Servant at his place in the Colonies (within interventions distance of the embassy). I suppose one must have political sensibilities to get a job in Iraq and perhaps it was foolish of me to think we'd have our very own mole in the Palace of the Viceroy, smuggling out gossip and state secrets. But at times, Christian is passing along less information about the situation there than CNN or Reuters and even on occasion, what he is telling us sounds awfully close to the Happy Fun News that is being promoted in place of reality by GOP mouthpieces. Perhaps that is simply the nature of living in the International Zone of an occupied city. Perhaps not. Let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home