Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Dispatches from Iraq, Part 18

Christian Writes:

Baghdad - October 17, 2004

It is difficult to sum all of my thoughts and feelings regarding the bombings. I hope my following words strike close to the mark.

The past few days have seen the fall out from last week's events. By far, Thurday, October 14th, was the worst day to date in the Green Zone.

Two bombs exploded. Both suicide missions. The first target was the "Haji Mart". This was the local bazaar where we could buy cheap souvenirs, DVDs, and cigarettes. The bomb went off in Big John's, the general store where I bought the charcoal for my grill.

The second bomb destroyed the Green Zone Cafe - until recently our local watering hole and nearest restaurant. Both establishments were Christian which when viewed in the light of yesterday's church bombings reveals the religious intolerance of some of our enemies.

What is most disconcerting, is that this attack hit so close to home. I used to frequent the Green Zone Cafe almost everyday to eat chicken kabobs and enjoy a Turkish coffee. At night, we would drink Lebanese wine and smoke shisha while listening to the drumbeats of our Arab friends. I got to know some of the help and I still do not know who survived and who did not. The whole place is now only a memory. Smoky nights under the red tent will never be repeated and some of our friends are no longer with us.


Read the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home