Monday, February 20, 2006

A Mouse In The stacks

A friend at the Library of Congress sent my this e-mail:

Billington, the Librarian of Congress, is considering a deal in which Disney would manage the reading rooms in the Jefferson Building. The idea is to install interactive exhibits in an attempt to lure "visitors" - not researchers by any means. Some of you might remember Disney's attempt to build a "historical" theme park/real estate development/shopping mall right next to the Manassas Battlefield. I shudder to envision what we're in for.

Look, you need the money. I get that, Billington by why Disney? All Coke-a-Cola wants is a few adds in the bathrooms and a couple of soda machines in the hallway. But Disney? Why not just start pimping out the Librarians.

Whenever the Mouse fuckers in Disneycorp get their hands on something, they bleed it dry; oversell it and then toss the rotting husk aside. (anyone been to Euro Disney?)

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a civilised country that actually funds it's cultural institutions instead of wasting 40 Bajillion dollars on a missile shield that doesn't work?

Note: This post was published on Friday but for some reason, only showed up in the RSS feed. So here it is for real.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disney? The corporation responsible for stretching copyright terms to the point of unconstitutionality?

Dear me.

2/21/2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Bryan said...

I had a great comment on Friday, but Blogger wouldn't let me make it.

I don't want to be "guided" in a reading room, I want good lighting, a comfortable chair, and table space.

I wouldn't say no to a nearby coffee shop with decent pastry for breaks, but I damn sure don't want the Mouse involved.

2/21/2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Coffee and pastry is cool but you don't need corporate sponsorship for that. This sounds loud and obnoxious.

2/21/2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home